Sweetwater Community Garden
Garden plots are available at the Sweetwater Community Garden in Bonita! The garden is located in the Sweetwater Regional Park at the Pinery site on the corner of Bonita Road and Sweetwater Road (5354 Sweetwater Road). The RCD manages the garden through an agreement with the County of San Diego Department of Parks and Recreation. The community garden contains:
- 200 garden plots, measuring 20’x20′ (full plot) or 10’x20′ (half plot)
- 2 ADA accessible plots with pre-installed raised beds
- Model gardens
- Fencing and a hose bib for each plot
Garden plots are available to residents and community groups from Bonita and surrounding communities, please click here to check if you are in the catchment area before applying or give us a call to discuss.
Joining a community garden has many benefits! It helps save money on fruits and vegetables at the store, and it provides an opportunity to enjoy fresh air and exercise in a beautiful, friendly, and safe setting. The garden is family-friendly and a great place to teach kids about nature and growing food.
1. The annual rent and water fee for a full plot is $300 and $150 for a half plot. The lease year runs July – June: a pro-rated amount will be applied depending on when you join. New garden members will also be charged a $100 cleaning fee with their first year’s rent. This will be used to cover the costs of cleaning your plot if it is not left in an acceptable condition should your lease be terminated. Payment in installments in available – please let us know if you are interested in this option.
2. Plots must be actively maintained all year round. Active maintenance of a garden plot requires weekly visits.
3. The Resource Conservation District (RCD) is the only entity that can authorize a Use Agreement for a garden plot and make plot assignments. You may not sublet your plot to another gardener.
How To Apply:
- Once you have submitted the application form, we will send you an invoice within one week for your first year’s rent (amount will be determined on when you join).
- Upon receipt of your payment, our Garden Coordinator will contact you to arrange a garden orientation and assign you your plot.
Please contact our office with any questions at 619-562-0096.